Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Newcastle United v Northampton Town

25 August 2015

Newcastle United v Northampton Town

Tuesday August 25th, 7.45pm    
St James Park


Florian Thauvin 3
Siem De Jong 8
Darryl Janmat 56
Mike Williamson 63


Marc Richards 10 pen

Attendance: 26,923 (989 Cobblers fans)

Newcastle United: Karl Darlow, Darryl Janmat, Jamaal Lascelles, Mike Williamson, Massadio Haidara (sub Ivan Toney 78), Cheick Tiote, Yoan Gouffran, Rolando Aarons, Siem De Jong, Florian Thauvin (sub Aleksandar Mitrovic 65), Ayoze Perez (sub Jack Colback 72).

Subs not used: Georginio Wijnaldum, Chancel Mbemba, Paul Dummett, Rob Elliot.

Cobblers: Ryan Clarke, Adam Yates, Ryan Cresswell, Rod McDonald, David Buchanan, Ryan Watson (sub Sam Hoskins 62), Joel Byrom, Jason Taylor, Alfie Potter (sub Lawson D’Ath 62), Nicky Adams, Marc Richards (sub Dominic Calvert-Lewin 75).

Subs not used: Adam Smith, Paul Corry, John-Joe O’Toole, Chris Hackett.

Referee: Mr D Coote

Newcastle: Cheick Tiote (20), Ayoze Perez (69)
Cobblers: Adam Yates (61, 1st of the season), Ryan Cresswell (85, 1st)

5 cautions on or before 30 November; 1 match suspension    
10 cautions on or before 11 April; 2 match suspension    
15 cautions at any time in season; 3 match suspension

Sent off:
Newcastle: none    
Cobblers: none

Sendings off: 2 cautions in one game; 1 match suspension but cautions do not count towards above totals. Other sendings off; 1 or 3 match suspension. Extra match ban for additional sendings off.


It was Premier League opposition for Northampton Town in the second round of the Capital One Cup as they made the trip north to take on Newcastle United.

Adam Yates, signed on loan from Port Vale the day before, made his Cobblers debut at right-back while Rod McDonald replaced Zander Diamond (dead leg) at centre-half.

Ivan Toney, who joined the Magpies from the Cobblers for an undisclosed fee earlier in the summer, started the game on the bench.

Before the match kicked off a minute’s silence was held in memory of the victims of the Shoreham disaster.

A frenetic opening ten minutes at St James Park saw three goals, two for Newcastle and one for Town.

The Toon raced into a two-goal lead, Siem De Jong heading home after Florian Thauvin had given Steve McClaren’s side the lead inside 3 minutes.

The Cobblers were soon on the scoresheet themselves though, Marc Richards scoring from the spot after Cheick Tiote was penalised.

Ryan Clarke made a good save to deny Ayoze Perez before a diving header from Richards went just wide following a well-worked free-kick routine.

Another good save from the Cobblers stopper denied Ayoze Perez on 37 minutes and although Newcastle had the ball in the back of the net from the rebound the off-side flag was up. Clarke was alert in first half stoppage time to thwart De Jong who a minute earlier had spurned a good chance to re-establish the home side’s two-goal lead.

Darryl Janmat made it 3-1 on 59 minutes, giving Clarke no chance with his shot having been played in by Thauvin.

Mike Williamson then made it four, scoring with a header from a free-kick with the Cobblers having just made a double change, Chris Wilder bringing on Lawson D’Ath and Sam Hoskins in place of Alfie Potter and Ryan Watson. 

Despite the scoreline the Cobblers continued to battle away but the home side saw the remainder of the game out and it was the Premier League side who booked their place in round three.


NEWCASTLE MATCH STATS (first half in brackets, match total out of brackets)
CORNERS: (3) 5
FOULS: (7) 11

COBBLERS MATCH STATS (first half in brackets, match total out of brackets)
CORNERS: (0) 3
FOULS: (7) 12


The above stats are recorded by club staff. The stats shown elsewhere on this page are recorded by Opta

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account