The Northampton Town Football & Education programme stage regular player trials.
Would you like a career in the Sports Industry?
Would you like the opportunity to combine your full-time post-16 education with a programme of work experience opportunities in a professional sports club environment?
We’re looking for the next generation of talented sports industry professionals to join us on our full-time post-16 education programme at Northampton Town Football Club.
What is it? A full-time education programme for 16-18 year olds, that combines a high quality, formal education qualification with a programme of Sports Industry specific work experience and, potentially, playing opportunities in the National Football Youth League. You can still play for your local club as National Football Youth League fixtures are on Wednesday afternoons.
What qualifications could I get? Those with the equivalent of 5 grade 4-9 GCSE’s (including Maths and English) or equivalent BTEC qualifications, can achieve a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport (Performance & Excellence) over 2 years. Those with less than the equivalent of 5 A*-C GCSE’s, can achieve a Level 3 Diploma or Subsidiary Diploma over 2 years or a Level 2 Diploma in Sport over 1 year and then move on to the 2 year qualification.
Vocational Qualifications such as Level 1 and 2 Coaching qualifications
What exit pathways are there?
- University – The Level 3 Extended Diploma qualification is equivalent to 3 A Levels and worth up to 168 UCAS points.
- Undergraduate Degree and HND opportunities with NTFC, principal club partner The University of Northampton and other Higher Education establishments
- Higher Education linked Internships
- Apprenticeships – PE and School Sports Apprenticeship opportunities with NTFC, and other external coaching apprenticeship opportunities.
- Employment in the Sports Industry
- Playing opportunities – linking talented players into semi-professional clubs, the FA Player Centres and the England National Pathway or US Soccer Scholarship opportunities. Players that perform to an exceptional level may also have opportunities to progress into the professional game at NTFC or other clubs
Other information - The programme runs from the Northampton Town Education Centres at the PTS Academy Stadium Campus and St Crispin’s Campus (10 minute walk).
In the 2018/19 season, Scott Pollock became the first player from the club's Football & Education programme to play for the first team. He scored his first goal in October 2019 and in February 2020, Ethan Johnston, another graduate from the programme, also signed a professional contract. We have also seen another former FEP Scholar, Eric Ameyaw, recently sign for Fulham to play for their U23 side. A number of our current and former FEP Scholars are playing football at Step 3, 4 and 5 of the pyramid, several are currently in the US on Scholarships and many are in higher education both in Northampton and elsewhere in the UK.