Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


Wigan Athletic 2 Northampton Town 1 - the match report

12 August 2023

Match Reports


Wigan Athletic 2 Northampton Town 1 - the match report

12 August 2023

Saturday August 12th, 3.00pm
DW Stadium

Charlie Hughes 72
Callum McManaman 80

Sam Hoskins 24

Attendance: 10,095 (866 Cobblers fans)

Wigan: Sam Tickle, Sean Clare, Charlie Hughes, Liam Morrison (sub Chris Sze 70), Tom Pearce, Scott Smith (sub Callum McManaman 55), Matt Smith, Stephen Humphrys (sub Kell Watts 82), Thelo Aasgaard (sub Baba Adeeko 82), Callum Lang, Charlie Wyke
Subs not used: Ben Amos, James Balagizi, Luke Brennan

Cobblers: Max Thompson, Akin Odimayo (sub Aaron McGowan 74), Sam Sherring, Jon Guthrie (sub Louis Appere 82), Patrick Brough, Will Hondermarck (sub Kieron Bowie 74), Jack Sowerby, Marc Leonard, Sam Hoskins, Tyreece Simpson (sub Manny Monthe 78), Mitch Pinnock
Subs not used: Max Dyche, Peter Abimbola, James Dadge

Referee: Ross Joyce

Wigan: Callum Lang (45), Stephen Humphrys (61), Tom Pearce (87), Chris Sze (90)
Cobblers: Jack Sowerby (27), Marc Leonard (60), Akin Odimayo (61), Jon Brady (61), Jon Guthrie (68), Colin Calderwood (85)

Sent off:
Wigan: none
Cobblers: none

Northampton Town travelled to the DW Stadium to take on Wigan Athletic in the club’s first Sky Bet League One away game of the season. The side named by Jon Brady showed two changes to the eleven that started the opening fixture against Stevenage. Lee Burge, who missed out having picked up a knock, was replaced by Max Thompson who made his EFL debut, while Will Hondermarck came in for Manny Monthe. Peter Abimbola was included among the substitutes with nine of the Cobblers eighteen aged 24 or under.

Wigan fans had declared the day ‘Blue and White Day’ to mark the arrival of new ownership, and a big crowd was in place on a sunny afternoon, but it was the Cobblers who were close to a dream start. Sam Hoskins fed Patrick Brough down the left and his low cross was met by Will Hondermarck who saw his close range shot turned on to the post by home keeper Sam Tickle. The loose ball came back to Marc Leonard, but his goalbound shot was blocked inside the six yard box.

The Cobblers continued their bright start and Mitch Pinnock curled a twelfth minute free kick over the bar but their endeavour was rewarded in the 24th minute when last season’s top scorer, Sam Hoskins, scored his first goal of the new campaign, curling home a superb free kick from just outside the area.

Stephen Humphrys sent a shot just wide of the upright for the home side on 32 minutes, before Matt Smith drove across the face of goal in a good spell for the Latics.

Some superb hold up play from Tyreece Simpson created a shooting opportunity for Hoskins in first half stoppage time, but this time his shot was blocked. The rebound came out to Jack Sowerby who fired just over the bar from distance. The Cobblers enjoyed a good spell as the first half drew to a close, and Marc Leonard arrowed a shot just wide of the near post after fine work from Akin Odimayo and Mitch Pinnock as Jon Brady’s side took a narrow lead in to the break.

Thelo Aasgaard curled over the bar for Wigan in the first action of the second half, while moments later Max Thompson made an excellent save, tipping away a drive from Humphrys. The ball was returned in to the area but Aasgaard headed wide.

Marc Leonard was booked for a 61st minute foul, the tackle coming after the Cobblers felt they should have been awarded a free kick seconds before. Akin Odimayo and Jon Brady were also cautioned as the protests continued. The home side’s Stephen Humphrys also saw yellow, their names joining Jack Sowerby and Callum Lang in the book after both had been cautioned in the first half.

Jon Guthrie was cautioned on 68 minutes, before Max Thompson was behind a low free kick from Humphrys.

Charlie Hughes equalised for the Latics on seventy two minutes, heading home a corner.

Kieron Bowie and Aaron McGowan came on for Will Hondermarck and Akin Odimayo before Mitch Pinnock sent a far post volley just off target. Soon afterwards, Manny Monthe replaced Tyreece Simpson.

The Cobblers were close to going back in front with seventy nine played, Patrick Brough sending a shot that rolled across the goalline.

Just seconds later, the Cobblers were behind for the first time in the contest, Callum McManaman curling home a powerful drive from outside the area.

Louis Appere came on for Jon Guthrie, before home keeper Tickle tipped away a Brough header that seemed destined for the top corner. Colin Calderwood was then also shown a yellow card.

Thompson did superbly to touch a Charlie Wyke header on to the post with five minutes to play, while at the other end a Hoskins shot was deflected in to the arms of Tickle.

Seven additional minutes were added, and although the Cobblers pressed for a leveller, it was the home side who took the points.

WIGAN MATCH STATS (first half in brackets, match total out of brackets)
CORNERS: (3) 7
FOULS: (6) 9

COBBLERS MATCH STATS (first half in brackets, match total out of brackets)
CORNERS: (2) 5
FOULS: (5) 13

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account