Find out more about Scott Wharton as he answers our range of questions!
1) What’s your first footballing memory, either playing or watching?
“When I was playing for my primary school team, we got to the national finals at Wembley. It had just been built so everything was brand new. I scored a goal which helped us finish as the third best team in the country so that was an amazing day. To score at Wembley, even though it was for my primary school, is an unbelievable feeling!
2) Who’s had the biggest influence on your career?
“My Dad, definitely. He’s always been there for me, taking me up and down the country and watches almost all my games. He’s there with me all the time and gives me a little team talk before each game – he loves it!”
3) Which player(s) inspired you the most whilst growing up?
“I’d say Phil Jones. Obviously, he’s a defender as well, and at the time he’d just burst on to the scene at Blackburn having come through the academy, so he’s someone who gave us hope that it was possible. He was unbelievable whilst he was at Blackburn and he got a good move to Manchester United off the back of it.”
4) If you could re-invent yourself as a player in a different position, where would you play?
“I’d have a go at being a striker! As a defender, if you make that one mistake it’s likely that the opposition are going to score from it. However, if you’re playing upfront you get chance after chance after chance to get a goal, so it would be nice to have that feeling rather than making than potentially making that one mistake that leads to conceding.”
5) Who’s the best player you’ve played with or against?
“Playing against Wayne Rooney in the FA Cup was special, so I’d say him in terms of the best player I’ve played against. The best player I’ve played with is probably Ben Marshall when I made my Blackburn debut.”
6) Do you have any pre-match superstitions/routines?
“No, not really. I know a few of the lads have superstitions but I’m not into that sort of stuff!”
7) Away from football, are you interested in any other sports?
“I like cricket. During the summer I like to try and play for my local team when I can. I’m more of a batter, I used to be a bit of an all-rounder but not anymore!”
8) At school, what was your favourite and least favourite subject?
“I would say P.E but that’s an obvious one, so I’ll say something else! I liked Maths, to be fair. My least favourite was probably English.”
9) If you could travel to a place you’ve never visited before, where would you go?
“South Africa. I’d like to go there and visit all of the safaris and things like that.”
10) If you were stuck in a lift with a current Northampton team-mate, who would you like it to be?
“I spend a lot of time with Nicky Adams as we travel together, so I’ll say I’d be stuck with him.”
11) Who has the worst banter in the squad?
“Shaun McWilliams is up there, there’s also a group which involves the likes of Charlie, Jordan and Sam so I’ll say those three as well!”
12) What’s your speciality in the kitchen?
“The best you’re going to get from me is a nice spaghetti bolognaise with a bit of garlic bread on the side.”
13) Do you have any hobbies outside of football?
“I just like to keep myself busy. Whether it’s going out to the shops, going for a coffee (before the coronavirus problem of course). When we’re down in Northampton it’s nice to go for a coffee after training, we do that quite a lot. Anything to keep busy really.”
14) What’s your favourite film?
“I like all of the Harry Potter films, I think they’re really good.”
15) If you weren’t a professional footballer, which route would you have gone down?
“If I didn’t make it as a footballer I’d have given cricket a good go. If I didn’t make it at that either, I think I’d have become a sports coach or sports teacher, something along those lines.”
16) Which Netflix/TV series would you recommend watching?
“My top three would be Prison Break, Breaking Bad and Line of Duty.”
17) It’s your turn on the karaoke, which song do you choose?
“My for my initiation I sang ‘Stand By Me’, so I’ll go for that one!”
18) You’re stuck on a desert island, which three items do you take with you?
“My phone, a pair of sunglasses and some sun cream – make the most of the sun!”
19) Do you have any pets, and if so which ones?
“I don’t have any pets, I’ve never really been a pet person to be honest.”
20) If you could pass on some advice to a younger player, what would it be?
“Never give up, always believe in yourself and always work on your weaknesses.”