Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


Northampton Town 3 Plymouth Argyle 1 - the match report

31 August 2019

Saturday August 31st, 3.00pm      
PTS Academy Stadium

Ryan Watson (pen) 7
Andy Williams 21, 41

Joe Riley 10

Attendance: 5,535 (1,291)

Cobblers: David Cornell, Shaun McWilliams, Charlie Goode (Capt.), Jordan Turnbull, Joe Bunney, Sam Hoskins, Chris Lines, Ryan Watson, Nicky Adams (Joe Martin 77), Matty Warburton (Billy Waters 52), Andy Williams (Vadaine Oliver 81).
Subs not used: Andy Fisher, Scott Wharton, Scott Pollock, Harry Smith. 
Plymouth Argyle: Alex Palmer, Joe Riley, Gary Sawyer (Capt.) (Josh Grant 46), Scott Wootton, Niall Canavan, Joe Edwards, Ryan Taylor (George Cooper 55), Danny Mayor, Conor Grant, Callum McFadzean, Zak Rudden (Byron Moore 46).
Subs not used: Michael Cooper, Will Aimson, Jose Baxter, Adam Randell.

Referee: Sebastian Stockbridge

Cobblers: Matt Warburton (41, 1st of the season), Joe Bunney (75, 3rd of the season), Charlie Goode (84, second of the season)
Plymouth: Danny Mayor (50), Joe Edwards (67)

5 cautions on or before 19 games; 1 match suspension
10 cautions on or before 37 games; 2 match suspension       
15 cautions at any time in season; 3 match suspension

Sent off:
Cobblers: none      
Plymouth: none

Sendings off: 2 cautions in one game; 1 match suspension but cautions do not count towards above totals. Other sendings off; 1 or 3 match suspension. Extra match ban for additional sendings off.

One of the promotion favourites, Plymouth Argyle, were the visitors to the PTS Academy Stadium as the first month of the new season came to a close. Matt Warburton replaced Vadaine Oliver in the only change to the Cobblers side that started the previous league fixture with Joe Martin and Scott Wharton named on the bench on their return from injury.

Ryan Watson put the Cobblers in front from the penalty spot following a frantic start to the game from both sides, the spot kick awarded for handball by Callum McFadzean despite the player’s protestations.

It wasn’t long before Plymouth were back on level terms though, Joe Riley’s low free-kick finding the bottom corner to make it 1-1 with just ten minutes played.

The goals kept coming and on 21 minutes the Cobblers were back in front through Andy Williams. Warburton and Hoskins were both involved in the build-up with the latter’s cross expertly turned in by Williams at the back-post.

Nicky Adams warmed the gloves of Alex Palmer as the Cobblers looked to extend their lead but it could have been 2-2 when Gary Sawyer headed over from close range. Adams then curled a delightful free-kick against the base of the post with Palmer saving from Hoskins on the follow-up. There was a real pace to the game and a rushed clearance from Palmer, under pressure from Williams, presented Adams with another shooting chance but his deft chip from 20-yards went just wide.

The Cobblers were pressing forward with real purpose and Andy Williams made it 3-1 before half-time, Hoskins again the provider, Williams volley into the ground looping over Palmer and into the net. There was still time for some more drama in first half stoppage time, Hoskins denied by a good save from Palmer.

Byron Moore and Josh Grant came on as Plymouth made a double change at half-time, Zak Rudden and Gary Sawyer replaced. Argyle were looking for a way back into the game but when Danny Mayor went down in the area appealing for a penalty a yellow card was shown for simulation. Billy Waters came on for Matt Warburton in the Cobblers first change with George Cooper on for Plymouth after Ryan Taylor picked up a knock.

Williams showed good strength and nearly completed his hat-trick with a shot that went narrowly wide , Waters fired over and Watson drew a save from Palmer with the Cobblers looking for a fourth goal to put the game to bed. Moore meanwhile spurned a golden opportunity to pull a goal back for Plymouth, failing to find the target from three-yards.

Joe Martin for Nicky Adams was the Cobblers second change with Williams replaced by Vadaine Oliver soon after, the striker leaving the field to a standing ovation having bagged two first half goals.

David Cornell on the stretch pulled off a fine save to tip over a shot from Cooper that looked destined for the top corner as the visitors looked to mount a late spell of pressure. Palmer denied Joe Bunney as the game entered stoppage time and it finished 3-1, the Cobblers impressive and thoroughly deserving of all three points.

COBBLERS MATCH STATS (first half in brackets, match total out of brackets)     
CORNERS: (2) 3           
FOULS: (7) 15        

PLYMOUTH MATCH STATS (first half in brackets, match total out of brackets)      
CORNERS: (1) 6
FOULS: (4) 10

SCRATCH CARD GOAL TIMES: 06:44, 09:26, 20:40, 40:38

Advertisement block