Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Northampton Town v Portsmouth

3 March 2015

Northampton Town v Portsmouth

Tuesday March 3rd, 7.45pm      



Ricky Holmes 25       


Attendance: 4,871 (798 away fans)

Cobblers: Matt Duke, Brendon Moloney, Ryan Cresswell, Lee Collins, Evan Horwood, Jason Taylor, Joel Byrom, Lawson D’Ath (sub Marc Richards 55), Ivan Toney, Ricky Holmes (sub Tom Newey 83), Chris Hackett (sub Darren Carter 67). 

Subs not used: Shwan Jalal, Billy Bodin, Zander Diamond, Danny Clifton.

Portsmouth: Paul Jones, Joe Devera, Ben Chorley, Jed Wallace, Ryan Taylor, Matt Tubbs, Paul Robinson, Josh Passley (sub Craig Westcarr 58), Nigel Atangana (sub Andy Barcham 58), Danny Hollands, Dan Butler (sub Wes Fogden 78)

Subs not used: Adam Webster, Johnny Ertl, Michael Poke, Conor Chaplin      

Referee: Mr K Johnson

Cobblers: Joel Byrom (38, 10th of the season), Ryan Cresswell (61, 7th), Evan Horwood (77, 5th), Jason Taylor (90, 8th)     
Portsmouth: Ben Chorley (53)

10 cautions on or before 11 April; 2 match suspension      
15 cautions at any time in season; 3 match suspension

Sent off:
Cobblers: none      
Portsmouth: Ben Chorley (90)

Sendings off: 2 cautions in one game; 1 match suspension but cautions do not count towards above totals. Other sendings off; 1 or 3 match suspension. Extra match ban for additional sendings off.

The Cobblers side was unchanged for the Tuesday night visit of Portsmouth to Sixfields with leading goalscorer Marc Richards named on the bench having missed the previous game with a sore Achilles. Ricky Holmes lined up against his former club having made the switch from Fratton Park in January.

Ivan Toney had a half-volley saved by Paul Jones on 6 minutes as Town started brightly. Portsmouth’s first chance of the night then fell to Ryan Taylor but his header was straight at Matt Duke.

The deadlock was broken on 25 minutes and it was Ricky Holmes who put the Cobblers in front with a superb effort from the edge of the area.

Toney had a shot deflected just wide on 36 minutes before Joel Byrom picked up his 10th booking of the campaign, earning him a two-match ban. Duke then made a terrific save to keep out a Matt Tubbs volley and preserve the Cobblers one goal first-half lead.

Marc Richards came on ten minutes into the second half with Lawson D’Ath making way. Craig Westcarr and Andy Barcham then came on for Portsmouth as they made a double change just before the hour mark.

Holmes went close with a dipping drive on 68 minutes before Jed Wallace had a shot deflected behind for Pompey, Duke saving Paul Robinson’s header from the subsequent corner. A mistake from Paul Jones then let in Richards but Robinson got back to head the ball clear.

Pompey were enjoying a spell of pressure, Wes Fogden heading wide when well-placed in front of goal before Duke pulled off another good save to deny Tubbs.

Ricky Holmes was replaced by Tom Newey for the final few minutes, the matchwinner and sponsors man of the match getting a standing ovation from the home fans as he left the field.

Ryan Cresswell headed off the line to keep the Cobblers in front and ensure the victory, Portsmouth having their captain Ben Chorley sent off in stoppage time.

COBBLERS MATCH STATS (first half in brackets, match total out of brackets)



CORNERS: (5) 5

FOULS: (8) 14


PORTSMOUTH MATCH STATS (first half in brackets, match total out of brackets)



CORNERS: (3) 6

FOULS: (5) 11

The above stats are recorded by club staff. The stats shown elsewhere on this page are recorded by Opta

Advertisement block