Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


25 January 2014

A match report from Northampton Town v Chesterfield, Sixfields, 25 January 2014

SKY BET LEAGUE 2          
Saturday January 25th, 3.00pm         



Darren Carter 15 pen          


Dan Gardner 24

Gary Roberts 52

Armand Gnaduillet 87      

Attendance: 5,082 (933 away fans)

Cobblers: Matt Duke, James Hurst (sub Ian Morris 64), Lee Collins,  Sean McGinty, Joe Widdowson, Matty Blair, Gary Deegan (sub JJ Hooper 75), Ben Tozer, Darren Carter (sub Roy O'Donovan 66), Antonio German, Hallam Hope

Subs not used: Dean Snedker, Ishmel Demontagnac, Matty Harriott, Mathias Kouo-Doumbe

Chesterfield: Tommy Lee, Ollie Banks (sub Armand Gnaduillet 63), Sam Morsy, Liam Cooper, Tendayi Darikwa, Gary Roberts, Jimmy Ryan, Ritchie Humphreys, Eoin Doyle (sub Sam Hird 83), Ian Evatt, Dan Gardner (sub Jay O'Shea 75)

Subs not used: Nathan Smith, Sam Togwell, Matty Brown, Ian Dunbavin  

Referee: Mr G Horwood

Cobblers: none         
Chesterfield: Dan Gardner (56), Tendayi Darikwa (82)

10 cautions on or before 11 April; 2 match suspension         
15 cautions at any time in season; 3 match suspension

Sent off:     
Cobblers: none         
Chesterfield: none

Sendings off: 2 cautions in one game; 1 match suspension but cautions do not count towards above totals. Other sendings off; 1 or 3 match suspension. Extra match ban for additional sendings off.

James Hurst, on-loan from Crawley Town, and the fit again Joe Widdowson both came into the Cobblers side for this re-arranged Sky Bet League 2 fixture. Mathias Doumbe and Ian Morris, both injured in the game against Wycombe just before Christmas, were named on the bench.

Darren Carter gave the Cobblers the lead from the penalty spot on 15 minutes after the Chesterfield keeper Tommy Lee brought down Hallam Hope.

Chesterfield equalised on 24 minutes, Dan Gardner smashing the ball home from the angle after a quickly taken Spireites free-kick.

The game then continued in some apocalyptic weather conditions with the rain and hail battering Sixfields accompanied by thunder and lightning.

After taking a good look at the pitch at half-time and with the weather starting to brighten referee Graham Horwood gave the go ahead for the second half.

Gary Deegan had a low shot saved by Lee on 48 minutes as a rainbow appeared over the East Stand.

Chesterfield then took the lead, Gary Roberts lofting a shot over Matt Duke at the second attempt.

Ian Morris entered the action on 64 minutes with James Hurst the player making way. With Hurst going off Ben Tozer reverted to right-back before Roy O’Donovan came on for Carter. The Cobblers final change came on 75 minutes with JJ Hooper replacing Deegan.

As the Cobblers pressed for an equaliser the Spireites survived a real goalmouth scramble on 78 minutes, Ritchie Humphreys eventually getting the ball clear.

Spireites substitute Armand Gnaduillet made it 3-1 on 87 minutes, cooly side-footing the ball home past Duke after breaking clear of the Town defence. That was that for the Cobblers and Chesterfield, having come from behind, left Sixfields with all three points.

COBBLERS MATCH STATS (first half in brackets, match total out of brackets)         
SHOTS ON TARGET: (2) 4     
SHOTS OFF TARGET: (1) 1     
CORNERS: (3) 5          
FOULS: (3) 7          

CHESTERFIELD MATCH STATS (first half in brackets, match total out of brackets)         
SHOTS ON TARGET: (1) 4     
SHOTS OFF TARGET: (2) 3     
CORNERS: (4) 6     
FOULS: (7) 12     

The above stats are recorded by club staff. The stats shown elsewhere on this page are recorded by Opta.

Advertisement block