Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Northampton Town v Hartlepool United

22 February 2014

Northampton Town v Hartlepool United

SKY BET LEAGUE 2             
Saturday February 22nd, 3.00pm            



Mathias Kouo-Doumbe 45

Brennan Dickenson 47              


Attendance: 4,083 (268 away fans)

Cobblers: Matt Duke, Leon McSweeney, Zander Diamond,  Mathias Kouo-Doumbe, Joe Widdowson (sub Gregor Robertson 67), Chris Hackett, Ricky Ravenhill, Darren Carter, Brennan Dickenson, John Marquis (sub Gary Deegan 86), Emile Sinclair (sub Alan Connell 67). 

Subs not used: Dean Snedker, Ben Tozer, Ian Morris, Antonio German.

Hartlepool: Scott Flinders, Sam Collins, Simon Walton, Marlon Harewood (sub Jonathan Franks 66), Jack Barmby (sub Jack Compton 66), Luke Williams, Michael Duckworth (sub Jordan Richards 11), Darren Holden, Luke James, Christian Burgess, Bradley Walker 

Subs not used: Jonathan Franks, James Poole, Andy Monkhouse, Andy Rafferty, Jack Compton, Antony Sweeney             

Referee: Mr D Bond

Cobblers: John Marquis (72, 5th of the season)            
Hartlepool: Darren Holden (45), Simon Walton (74), Luke Williams (86)

10 cautions on or before 11 April; 2 match suspension            
15 cautions at any time in season; 3 match suspension

Sent off:        
Cobblers: none            
Hartlepool: none

Sendings off: 2 cautions in one game; 1 match suspension but cautions do not count towards above totals. Other sendings off; 1 or 3 match suspension. Extra match ban for additional sendings off.

Chris Wilder made three changes to the side for the first of three home games in 8 days. New loan signing Zander Diamond replaced Ben Tozer in central defence while Brennan Dickenson and Emile Sinclair were both restored to the starting line-up, Gary Deegan and Antonio German dropping to the bench.

Hartlepool were forced into making an early change, Jordan Richards replacing the injured Michael Duckworth who left the field on a stretcher following a lengthy stoppage.

Leon McSweeney put in a good cross for Brennan Dickenson on 18 minutes but the winger flashed his header wide. Following a quiet period of play, John Marquis then fired a shot just over the angle of post and bar after Zander Diamond did well to head down a ball in to the box by Darren Carter.

An overhead kick from Emile Sinclair was saved by Scott Flinders as the Cobblers tried to build up a period of pressure.

The Cobblers took the lead deep into first half stoppage time, Mathias Kouo-Doumbe with the final touch after Joe Widdowson volleyed back in to the box from Chris Hackett’s initial free-kick.

Brenan Dickenson made it 2-0 on 47 minutes, showing real bravery to get his head on the end of a perfectly delivered cross from Hackett.

A low bobbling shot from Simon Walton came back off the inside of the post as Hartlepool looked to respond to the Cobblers quickfire goals either side of the break.

Luke Williams shot straight at Matt Duke before both sides made double changes, Alan Connell and Gregor Robertson coming on for the Cobblers to replace Joe Widdowson and Emile Sinclair. Connell went close to extending the Cobblers lead but his flicked header from a corner went just wide. 

Matt Duke made a terrific flying save to keep out a shot from Williams before Gary Deegan replaced John Marquis in the Cobblers final change.

Five minutes of injury time then passed without incident as the Cobblers claimed three vital league points.

COBBLERS MATCH STATS (first half in brackets, match total out of brackets)            
SHOTS ON TARGET: (2) 6        
SHOTS OFF TARGET: (4) 7        
CORNERS: (1) 4           
FOULS: (8) 16             

HARTLEPOOL MATCH STATS (first half in brackets, match total out of brackets)            
SHOTS ON TARGET: (2) 5        
SHOTS OFF TARGET: (1) 4        
CORNERS: (2) 7         
FOULS: (11) 17        

The above stats are recorded by club staff. The stats shown elsewhere on this page are recorded by Opta.

Advertisement block