Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


21 July 2012

Corby Town 2 Northampton Town 1 - the match report

Saturday July 21st, 3.00pm
Steel Park


Ricky Miller 18, 42


Jake Robinson 69 pen

Attendance: 830

Corby:  Paul Walker, Nathan Horne, Andy Holt, Paul Malone, Brian Pierrick, Tom McGowan, Ryan Semple, Jason Crowe, Ricky Miller, Leon McKenzie, Greg Kaziboni. Subs: Lewis Webb, Sam Ives, Avelino Vierra, Jon Stead, Michael Built, Liam Riochardson, Rudi Misambo, Tom Ingram, James Harrison, Will Muzvimbiri, Luke Greer.

Cobblers: Neal Kitson (sub Dean Snedker 46), Chris Hackett (sub John Johnson 63), Kelvin Langmead, Anthony Charles, Joe Widdowson, Ishmel Demontagnac (sub Lewis Hormby 63), Ben Tozer (sub Michael Hoganson 63), Luke Guttridge (sub Paul Turnbull 63), Michael Hoganson (trialist) (sub Jake Robinson 46), Clive Platt (sub Adebayo Akinfenwa 46), Alex Nicholls (sub Lewis Wilson 46). 

Referee: Mr M Dexter

Corby: none
Cobblers: none

Sent off:
Corby: none
Cobblers: none

Northampton Town travelled to Steel Park for the first time to face a Corby side managed by ex Cobblers boss Ian Sampson in their opening pre-season fixture of the summer. Sampson has drafted in a number of players from his time as manager at Sixfields, compiling a squad that included Paul Walker, Andy Holt, Jason Crowe, Leon McKenzie, Greg Kaziboni and Michael Built. 

As the sun shone over Steel Park, the game began as an even affair with both sides trying to get the upper hand.  

It was on the 18-minute mark that the deadlock was broken when Corby scored. The goal came about after a Chris Hackett free kick was saved from 30 yards out and Corby went down the other end and scored a controversial goal. Neal Kitson thought he had the ball in his hands on the edge of the box, when Ricky Miller nipped in to take it off him and finish in to an empty net. 

After the Cobblers went 1-0 down, they began putting the Corby defence under pressure in search of an equaliser, with Chris Hackett and trialist Michael Hoganson forcing the Steelmen to defend well whipping in some tempting crosses. 

Corby however had a great chance on 36 minutes when Ricky Miller looked through on goal, placing a half volley just wide of the Cobblers post. 

Two minutes later Miller again had a chance when his looping header evaded Neal Kitson, but Chris Hackett was on hand to clear the ball off the line after some great work on the wing by Ryan Semple.

Ricky Miller continued his good work on 43 minutes when he doubled Corby’s advantage. Miller found himself just outside the Cobblers box and struck a sweet volley across goal and into the top corner.  

Soon after Miller bagged his second of the afternoon, the referee blew for half-time as the sides went in with Corby leading 2-0. 

After the second half began in a scrappy fashion, Ishmel Demontagnac had a powerful effort hit the bar on 61 minutes. 

The game came to life in the 69th minute when John Johnson was brought down in the box after some good work on the right. Jake Robinson carried on from where he left off in Croatia and made no mistake in converting the penalty, bringing the Cobblers back into the game at 2-1. 

The Cobblers kept up the pressure after the goal, coming close to levelling the game when Lewis Hornby delivered a pinpoint cross onto the head of Akinfewa, who saw his header go just past the post. 

As the second-half progressed, Northampton dominated possession and created plenty of chances, with Akinfenwa and Lewis Wilson both going close, but couldn’t seem to find that elusive equaliser. 

The Cobblers kept pressing in the latter stages of the game, but were unable to get that second goal, as the Steelmen hung onto their lead and ran out 2-1 winners. 

CORBY MATCH STATS (first half in brackets, match total out of brackets)
CORNERS: (0) 1
FOULS: (7) 12

COBBLERS MATCH STATS (first half in brackets, match total out of brackets)
CORNERS: (2) 4
FOULS: (6) 9

Advertisement block