Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
30 October 2019 Venue PTS Academy Stadium Attendance

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Northampton Town
0 - 2
Colchester United
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports


Northampton Town 1 Colchester United 2 - the match report

30 October 2019

Wednesday October 30th, 7.00pm
PTS Academy Stadium

Michael Harding 90

Diogo Freitas-Gouveia 59
Jake Hutchinson 70

Cobblers: Lewi Patching, Richie Bailey, Jacob Ballinger, Haydn Price, Josh Flanagan, Tom Scott, Ryan Smith, Liam Cross, Ethan Johnston, Caleb Chukwuemeka, Michael Harding
Subs: Jordan Fowler, Dylan Berry, Max Dyche, Ewna Clark, Lewis Gilbert, Will Bates, Tom Scott

Colchester: Chandler Hallett, Lordon Akolbire, Al-Amin Kazeem, Sam Cornish, Billy Cracknell, Josh Fouche, Diogo Freitas-Gouveia, Marley Marshall-Miranda, Jake Hutchinson, Andre Hasanally, Donell Thomas
Subs:  Ted Collins, Tom Stagg, Harvey Sayer, Frankie Terry, Kacy Parish, Samson Tovide, Kai Redgrave

Referee: Mr Ciaran Fidler

Attendance: 478

Northampton Town’s under 18 side welcomed the Category 2 Academy side Colchester United to the PTS Academy Stadium for their first round tie in this season’s FA Youth Cup.

After a cagey opening 10 minutes, the Cobblers had sight of an opportunity when a long ball found Michael Harding just outside the area but keeper Chandler Hallett raced out to claim.

Cobblers full back Richie Bailey was shown a 16th minute yellow card, before the visitors went close six minutes later, Jake Hutchinson hitting the bar with a header.

Caleb Chukwuemeka headed just wide for the Cobblers on 28 minutes, while a powerful run from Harding was ended unfairly by Lordon Akolbire, earning the Colchester man a yellow card with 33 minutes played.

The first action of the second half saw the visitors take the lead a fraction before the hour mark, Diogo Freitas-Gouveia sliding the ball underneath the onrushing Lewi Patching to open the scoring.

United doubled their lead with just over 20 minutes to play, Jake Hutchinson turning in a cross from Freitas-Gouveia.

The Cobblers pressed for a way back in to the tie, and Michael Harding pulled a goal back as the game entered stoppage time, scoring from close range. However, despite some nervy moments in the four added minutes, the visiting defence held firm to see the Essex side through to round 2.


Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account