Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

02 November 2017 Venue Stratford Fields Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buckingham Athletic
2 - 4
Northampton Town
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Match Previews


FA Youth Cup action

1 November 2017

Northampton Town's youth team travel to Buckingham Athletic in the FA Youth Cup first round on Thursday evening.

Admission details for those looking to support Jon Brady's side are £3 for adults, £2 concession (OAP and youths 14 – 18), while under 14s go free.

Advertisement block

Match Reports


Buckingham Athletic 2 Northampton Town 4 - the match report

2 November 2017

Thursday November 2nd, kick off 7.45pm
Stratford Fields

Tom McIlroy 19
Ben Quay 55

James Gillard 28, 32
Ryan Hughes 66
Sean Whaler 72

Buckingham: Larry Mills, Aaron Pike, Caleb Adebola, Luke McAndrew, Harry Byron, Chris Atkinson, Ben Quay, Matthew Tew, Robbie Carter, Tom McIlroy, Garrett Mini
Subs: Rory Busby, Ethan McCobb, Harvey Thorne, Kinlay Karde 

Cobblers: Adam North, Vaughn Marett, Ryan Hughes, Matthew Slinn, Prudence Anaele, Jarvis Wilson, Sean Whaler, Seth Patrick, James Gillard, Morgan Roberts, Shama Bako
Subs: Jay Williams, Bradley Lashley, Jack Daldy, Ryan Smith, Urijah Gordon-Douglas

Buckingham: Aaron Pike (65)
Cobblers: Matthew Slinn (50), Seth Patrick (58)

Sent off:
Buckingham: none
Cobblers: none

The Northampton Town youth team travelled to Buckingham Athletic on Thursday evening for the first round of the FA Youth Cup.

It was the young Cobblers who created the opening opportunity under at the lights at Stratford Fields, Shaun Whaler’s delivery from a free-kick wide on the right picked out forward James Gillard inside the box but his header was saved well by the Buckingham goalkeeper.

The hosts then carved out their first opening through Matthew Tew on 10 minutes when he curled a shot towards goal but the effort went over. Morgan Roberts went straight up the other end and tried his luck from distance but that was also over the bar.

Cobblers captain Jarvis Wilson met Shama Bako’s corner but couldn’t steer his header goalwards, then Bako’s second delivery soon after caused problems in the box and the ball hit the post but Buckingham were eventually able to clear the danger.

The home side took the lead through Tom McIlroy on 19 minutes, he managed to force his way through the Cobblers defence and curled a low shot beyond ‘keeper Adam North to break the deadlock.

The Cobblers hit back 10 minutes later through Gillard, Bako played him in behind with a through ball and the forward finished low beyond the ‘keeper to get back on level terms. Gillard netted again with a volley from Pru Anaele’s header four minutes later to turn the tie on its head and put Jon Brady’s side 2-1 up going into the break.

Buckingham came out for the second half looking to get back on level terms, and had a corner cleared away moments after the restart. The equaliser then did come on 55 minutes through Quay after McIlroy had powered his way down the left and picked out his team mate who finished low past North.

The competitiveness of the tie then went up a gear with 3 bookings inside 15 minutes, Seth Patrick and Matthew Slinn receiving cautions for the Cobblers with Buckingham’s Aaron Pike also seeing yellow. Anaele then almost connected with Whaler’s corner but the delivery was just too heavy.

With 24 minutes remaining, the Cobblers edged back infront through defender Ryan Hughes. Bako had a corner on the right which Hughes headed in, and although the effort was initially ruled out, the referee awarded the goal after discussions with his assistant.

On 72 minutes the Cobblers opened up a two-goal lead and put one foot in the second round thanks to a fantastic free-kick from Sean Whaler. He placed the ball down 25 yards out and curled an effort into the top corner for 4-2.

Bako and Patrick then had chances to extend the lead further, but both players saw their efforts go wide of the post and Wilson then had a header deflected over the bar as the Cobblers looked to add a fifth.

The win means Jon Brady’s team have now progressed into the second round of the competition and will travel to either Newport County or Swindon Town.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account